What better way to celebrate spring weather, than with delicious tasting and good for you, maple ginger cupcakes!
Maple Gingerbread Cupcakes with Maple Cream
1 1/4 c. pastry flour
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. maple sugar
1/2 c. unsulfured molasses
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups. Set aside.
2. Mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Combine 4 tbsps of the butter with the maple sugar in a separate bowl, and beat until fluffy using an electric mixer. Add the molasses and egg and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth--the mixture may appear slightly curdled.
4. In a small bowl whisk together the baking soda and 1/2 cup of boiling water until the baking soda has dissolved. Add the baking soda mixture into the molasses mixture, whisking until combined. Add the molasses mixture to the flour mixture, whisking until combined.
5. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, until they are golden brown and firm to the touch, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a rack and cool completely.
6. Frost with Maple Cream