Maple Sugar Meringues!
I grew up watching my mother make lemon meringue pie and thinking, "I want to be able to do that." I always thought meringues were only for people who truly knew how to bake everything. I realize now that anyone can make maple meringues. It just isn't that difficult! So I started with the meringue itself, and I may never make the actual pie. Meringue is good on its own. Enjoy!
2 Large Egg Whites
1/4 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
Pinch of Salt
1/2 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon Justamere's Maple Sugar
additional maple sugar for topping
1) Preheat the oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and a dash of salt. Beat until soft, foamy peaks form.
3) Gradually add maple sugar, continuing to beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
4) Drop meringues by large teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet; a teaspoon cookie scoop, dipped in water frequently, works well here. Sprinkle each meringue with additional maple sugar, if desired.
5) Bake the meringues for 2 hours. Turn off the heat, and leave the meringues in the oven, with the door closed, until they're crunchy all the way through--3 hours or more. Overnight works best.
6) Remove the meringues from the oven, and cool to room temperature. Store airtight at room temperature.
Yield: 3 dozen meringues.